Seeking help with Tyan Thunder onboard LSI SCSI

I'm sorry to have to ask buit this is the first scsi system I've ever had
and it's been a chore to get it this far, it's been one of those weeks
folks. I'll have alot of boring technical stuf below here and alot of
questions I'm afraid. Happy holidays to everyone while I have your
attention for a second and thanks in advance for any help I get.

I have a Tyan Thunder LE S2510 with integrated LSI Symbios 53C1010 SCSI
and Seagate Barracuda 18G drive.
lsilogic.com says to use the NCR 53810 driver for linux for the onboard
scsi controller. I pass lilo the argument as stated in the ondisk help
boot: nc53c8xx=safe:y

this results in (from dmesg and despairingly hand copied)
sym53c8xx:
setup=disc:n,specf:0,ultra:0,tags:0,sync:255,burst:255,wide:n,diff:1,revprob:n,buschk:0x1
sym53c8xx:
setup=mpar:n,spar:y,fsn=n,verb:2,debug:0x0,led:n,settle:10,irqm:0x1,nvram:0x1,pcifix:0x0

scsi: 0 hosts
scsi: detected total.

If there is any tips or tricks to get this thing working, I would love to
know them. Perhaps some arcane command for the bootprompt, I don't know.

Windows ME was just run on my lovely linux drive and it found it and
formatted it but linux does not seem to detect the drive. Is it the fault
of the controller not working quite right because it is an onboard device
or what is it? Please enlightenment. I shall perform much pennance for
perhaps asking a foolish question or two by assisting all the fun users
that can exist on my new toy. Thanks again for everyone's time.
---
Flashback Max
Key fingerprint = F4 55 14 C7 8C 1C 60 B4  0F 72 C6 24 EE DB 4E ED