Re: Help msg: modprobe can't locate ppp-compress

On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 09:06:53PM +0100, Jonathan Gift wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed in my daemon and sysylog that when logged in through pon and a
> dial up account which is functioning fine that I have the following msg
> repeated:
>
> modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module ppp-compress-21
> modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module ppp-compress-26
> modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module ppp-compress-24
>
> This apparently occurs evertime I have logged in.
> Help appreciated.

If in /etc/modutils/aliases you have:

alias ppp-compress-21 bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24 ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-26 ppp_deflate

but you don't have such modules in /lib/modules/<kernel>/net/

then you may get such error.   On the other hand, if you do have such
modules, but do not have the alias lines above, simply add them to the
file and run update-modules (the errors should go away).

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>