Re: Cardmngr (fwd)

On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 11:23:41AM -0600, dude wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> i have a compaq Presario 1700.

I have a Presario 1610. It's a laptop.
If yours it is a laptop, too, you could get a better answer on debian-laptop.

> I have installed potato but have to access it using
>
> boot: linux 1
>
> because at first the thing would just horribly hang
>
> when it said
>
> Starting PCMCIA services:

Dunno. Never been expert of lilo and PCMCIA.

> ok, well i downloaded the latested (from sourceforge)
> pcmcia package onto my wins paritions
>
> then rstarted the system and mounted my windows parititon
>
> and then copied and 'make'-ed the pcmcia packages

Did you try to use the pcmcia-source package and compile from that one?
That is what I did, and I had no problem.
pcmcia-source may not be the latest ( and so may lack support for the
newest sockets/cards) but it is in synch with the kernel used by debian
(assuming that you use kernel-source package or the equivalent kernel
 tarball).

> i make sure to choose install all
> so all modules would be made.
>
> anyway
>
> now the debian package hangs on the
> "cardmgr"
> when i run test_setup
> it says no socket drivers loaded
> but says i have pcmcia modules installed
>

> so now, i need help in figuring out
> why CARDMNGR hangs at boot up (horrible- i have to unplug the laptop)
>
> i read the pCMCIA HOWTO and it says something about if cardmngr hangs
> you need to changea CORE_OPTS but i jhave no idea what file they are
> talking about
>
> any appreciate all your help as usuall
>

> i also looked at /pcmcia/debug and used ./test_setup
> and it tells me that i dont have socket drivers loaded
> ok so i loaed the i8235 drivers
>
> but then here is where it hangs, when i do a ./cardmgr or a ./probe
> under /pcmcia/cardmgr
>
> it hangs horrible

Sorry, can't help here. My pcmcia works out-of-the-box (once I build the
debian package from pcmcia-source and Install it) and then I never needed to go in depth.
Again, on debian-laptop you may find someone with your same model
(if yours is a laptop,that is)

HTH

Ciao
-----