Re: debian insall over ppp connection

John Bacalle wrote:

> RE: In-Reply-To: <20000908180134.F10129@ix.netcom.com>
> (Karsten Self, if you read this, I tried mailing you 12/11 and just a
> few minutes ago, but Netcom returns errors on your account.[1])
>
> On Fri, Sep 08, 2000 at 06:01:35PM -0700, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 08, 2000 at 05:11:08PM -0400, Andrew Dixon (dixon.1@netzero.net) wrote:
> > > HI everyone,
> > > I'm trying to install over a dial-up connection and I'm not sure what nfs
> > > server to use.  Does anyone know where I can find this information?
> >
> > Second the ftp/http installation option.  Give yourself a couple of days
> > to download the requisite packages -- IIRC it was two nightly sessions
> > of ~8 hours for me at 56 kbps, though I'd installed a base Slink system
> > from CDROM and upgraded to Potato following installation.
>
> Hello:
>
> I came across this old post to debian-user, I have a similar problem. I
> am moving from RHL to Debian, it'll be my 1st Debian install. Well, I
> have tried to install Slink from CDs before but I became stuck and moved
> onto RHL -- what a waste of time; had I known then what I know now.
>
> Anyway, I'm not sure what how best to install Debian on my system, let
> me give you some details and then proceed from there:
>
>    I have:
>
>      - Slink CDs
>
>      - PPP connectivity
>
>      - 1 blank hardisk
>
>      - 1 300MB Windows partition to be
>
>      - 1,200MB remaining to be Linux (old PC)
>

>    I want:
>
>      - to install Potato
>
>      - to hopefully install from 1 or 2 floppies; connecting via apt-get
>        (I was told once, so I can resume install upon ISP disconnect)
>        do a small 200MB Debian installation.
>
>      - some idea of whether I'm on the wrong path?
>
> I have read some of the Debian docs which mention that a Debian install
> can be done via PPP, but, then the documentation mentions NFS and no
> more.
>
> I understand that Debian upgrades itself beautifully, but I figure it
> would be nicer (if possible) to go straight to Potato. Hence my
> confusion at the moment.

  I did the same with slink, I wasn't able to install potato from
floppies. Since then I only upgraded (running unstable currently).

  part of the install is ppp configuration. it produced unusable files,
but it was fairly easy to manually fix it and continue installation over
ppp. basically once you're connected you use the regular
dselect/apt-get/..., the method would be http or ftp.

	erik