debian insall over ppp connection

RE: In-Reply-To: <20000908180134.F10129@ix.netcom.com>
(Karsten Self, if you read this, I tried mailing you 12/11 and just a
few minutes ago, but Netcom returns errors on your account.[1])

On Fri, Sep 08, 2000 at 06:01:35PM -0700, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 08, 2000 at 05:11:08PM -0400, Andrew Dixon (dixon.1@netzero.net) wrote:
> > HI everyone,
> > I'm trying to install over a dial-up connection and I'm not sure what nfs
> > server to use.  Does anyone know where I can find this information?
>
> Second the ftp/http installation option.  Give yourself a couple of days
> to download the requisite packages -- IIRC it was two nightly sessions
> of ~8 hours for me at 56 kbps, though I'd installed a base Slink system
> from CDROM and upgraded to Potato following installation.

Hello:

I came across this old post to debian-user, I have a similar problem. I
am moving from RHL to Debian, it'll be my 1st Debian install. Well, I
have tried to install Slink from CDs before but I became stuck and moved
onto RHL -- what a waste of time; had I known then what I know now.

Anyway, I'm not sure what how best to install Debian on my system, let
me give you some details and then proceed from there:

   I have:

     - Slink CDs

     - PPP connectivity

     - 1 blank hardisk

     - 1 300MB Windows partition to be

     - 1,200MB remaining to be Linux (old PC)

   I want:

     - to install Potato

     - to hopefully install from 1 or 2 floppies; connecting via apt-get
       (I was told once, so I can resume install upon ISP disconnect)
       do a small 200MB Debian installation.

     - some idea of whether I'm on the wrong path?

I have read some of the Debian docs which mention that a Debian install
can be done via PPP, but, then the documentation mentions NFS and no
more.

I understand that Debian upgrades itself beautifully, but I figure it
would be nicer (if possible) to go straight to Potato. Hence my
confusion at the moment.

   John

--
John Bacalle                                f./vm. +1 212 894 3778 x1057
I'm selling several  new MCSE and Red Hat  books  at a discount. My reef

[1]
   The original message was received at Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:25:08 -0500
   from john@localhost

   kmself@ix.netcom.com

   ... while talking to mail01.dfw.mindspring.net.:
   >>> MAIL From:<john@unixen.org> SIZE=2747
   <<< 550-Mindspring/Netcom mail servers are unable to deliver this
   e-mail.
   <<< 550-Please contact your Internet Service Provider to find out how
   <<< 550-to send e-mail using the proper SMTP server.  If you are a
   <<< 550-MindSpring/Netcom  customer, and need assistance configuring
   your e-mail
   <<< 550-software, please contact MindSpring Technical Support at the
   <<< 550 telephone number listed in your documentation.
   554 kmself@ix.netcom.com... Service unavailable