Re: Going Debian: advice request

On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 11:40:15AM +0100, Sebastiaan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Rodolfo Canet-Castello wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> >

> > more bleeding-edge versions. Any problem about that? Should I
> > install woody instead if I intend to use non-stable packages?

> With apt (Debian package manager) you can choose if you would like to
> install stable or unstable versions.

Be aware that upgrading to certain woody packages may also upgrade
your libc6 and that can break other potato packages.  I have tried
combining potato and woody by installing woody packages but had to
revert to a full potato system.

What I do now to avoid the libc6 problem is to compile the woody
source on potato and install the resulting debian package. This method
is not without it's problems.  Example: I installed ruby 1.6 this way
and when I tried to install the new ruby's apache module I had to
upgrade my apache.  Compiling apache's sources, however, requires
installation of a lot of other woody packages.  In the end I just
decided not to work with the ruby/apache combination anymore.

Johann
--
J.H. Spies - Tel. 082 782 0336 / 023 55 11 568
     "Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your