Re: Which X is running?

> I recently did an apt-get upgrade on my system. Sadly, this completely
> broke X. To fix things, I manually installed task-x-window-system-core
> since apt-get was holding it back. I configured the system during the
> set up script and X still wouldn't start claiming that the
> configuration files were wrong. I ran XF86Setup and reconfigured X,
> and though it could successfully start the X server, startx would
> still fail claiming that the configuration script was wrong. I then
> installed xserver-svga and now X starts fine. However, I'm curious if
> I'm running X 4 or 3.x.
>
> dpkg claims:
> ii  xserver-common 4.0.1-10       files and utilities common to all X
servers
> ii  xserver-common 3.3.6-18       files and utilities common to
XFree86 3.x X
> ii  xserver-svga   3.3.6-18       X server for SVGA graphics cards
> ii  xserver-vga16  3.3.6-11       X server for VGA graphics cards
> ii  xserver-xfree8 4.0.1-10       the XFree86 X server

Hey, I can probably answer that (if you run "startx" and X-Windows
doesn't automatically start). At the command-prompt, type "startx &>
startx.log &". This will create a file called "startx.log" in the
current dir. Near the top, it will list the version number. I think I
recall seeing the version that was running elsewhere, but can't
remember. Maybe in "gnomecc" (the Gnome Control Center) ??

Somwhat related, I've got packages for *both* versions too. I seem to
recall trying to remove the 3.3.x items, but dpkg gave me warnings that
"scared" me into leaving well enough alone.

Hall