can't open initial console and kernel panic

hello!

i have a really critical problem.
i tried hdparm to enable dma access. but after some tests the system hung
and i had to shutdown manually.
now i can't boot debian anymore.
the error messsage is:
Warning: unable to open an initial console
Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

i already booted my LFS system to fsck the (ext2) partition and it found a
lot of errors, but they are fixed now.
i also tried to boot using the debian boot cdrom and the rescue option, but
the same shit happens :(
i'm currently forced to write this mail using outlook express and as you can
think i'm "not amused".
any ideas how i can fix this? maybe i should reinstall debian?
the data on the partition is really important and  a lot of work, so i would
like to only reinstall the system requirements. is this somehow possible? or
does somebody have another idea how to fix this?
i have access to the partition through my LFS system if this is helpful.
thanks a lot !

Daniel

btw: running debian potato r2 and an unmodified 2.2.17 kernel