Re: odd gpm behavior

Tim Condit wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running potato, and have recently been having trouble with my
> mouse not working under X (XFree86 3.3.6), even though it worked
> fine on the console. That (and some tinkering and reading) led me
> to believe that gpm might be causing trouble.
>
> At the same time, my dialup with ppp and wvdial quit working a few
> days ago, for no reason that I could discover. pppd appeared to
> connect to my ISP, and I could ping the local IP assigned by pppd,
> but I was unable to ping the remote side.
>
> Anyway, I read somewhere that X controls the mouse very well all
> by itself, so I used 'update-rc.d -f gpm remove' to turn off gpm,
> and voila! Not only does my mouse work, but now pppd works again
> as well!
>
> I'm at work, and not able to test this yet, but tonight I'm going
> to start gpm again, and see if that breaks my pppd. Has anyone
> experienced this?
I have a similar (actually the reverse) problem since I recentely
upgraded to the 2.2.17 kernel. Now the mouse runs only in cut & paste
mode, not as a pointer. Any ideas where to start. I tried the -R options
and that did not work. PS2 mouse on plain potato. Not a newbie, just
have not updated the kernel in a while. Getting ready for new hardware.
X works fine.
John