odd gpm behavior

Hi,

I'm running potato, and have recently been having trouble with my
mouse not working under X (XFree86 3.3.6), even though it worked
fine on the console. That (and some tinkering and reading) led me
to believe that gpm might be causing trouble.

At the same time, my dialup with ppp and wvdial quit working a few
days ago, for no reason that I could discover. pppd appeared to
connect to my ISP, and I could ping the local IP assigned by pppd,
but I was unable to ping the remote side.

Anyway, I read somewhere that X controls the mouse very well all
by itself, so I used 'update-rc.d -f gpm remove' to turn off gpm,
and voila! Not only does my mouse work, but now pppd works again
as well!

I'm at work, and not able to test this yet, but tonight I'm going
to start gpm again, and see if that breaks my pppd. Has anyone
experienced this?

--
Tim Condit                                    tcondit@uu.net
UUNet Network Quality Services                  734-214-7548

If you make a man a fire, you'll keep him warm for a day. If you
set a man on fire, you'll keep him warm for the rest of his life.
    -- unknown