Re: Yamaha OPL3-SA2

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 03:35:13PM -0500, Marc Shapiro wrote:

> The new machince has a Yamaha OPL3-SA2 sound card in it.
>
> I tried to install the opl3-sa2 driver using modconf, but it said that
> there were errors and that installation failed.  I then tried the
> mpu-401 driver (which also mentions the OPL3-SA2) and modconf gave me no
> errors.

I had the same problem and found a way to fix it. I already knew the relevant
settings about i/o ports, dma, etc., because I read them from my previous win95,
RH 7.0, and MDK 7.x configurations.

But in Debian I had to fiddle a bit to get the YAMAHA up and running.

The following is what I did (as root):

1. I read the document OPL3-SA2 by Scott Murray that I found in:

   /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.17/Documentation/sound

2. I issued this command:

   pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf

3. I edited /etc/isapnp.conf with the correct values (most editing
   has been uncommenting lines)

4. I issued this other command to configure the YAMAHA sound chip:

   isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf

5. Finally, I entered these commands:

   insmod mpu401
   insmod insmod ad1848
   insmod opl3sa2 io=0x370 mss_io=0x530 mpu_io=0x330 irq=5 dma=0 dma2=1
   insmod opl3 io=0x388

And it worked! The only problem left is that I can now listen to my CDs
when I login as root, not as a normal user. There must be some
permission to grant or the like (any hint, BTW?).

You have to check (and probably change) the parameters in the insmod
opl3sa2 and opl3 lines.

I hope this will help you.

gian piero

PS - Thank you Scott