Re: Latest Version of Gnome ?

"Christopher W. Aiken" <cwaiken@telerama.com> writes:

Hi,

> My Gnome desktop is not working right.  All windows open in the
> upper left cornet and I can not move them.  My cursor is a large
> "X".  The mouse buttons have no action on the desk top.

It seems that there isn't any window manager running. Try to enter the
GNOME Control Center (via the panel) and then the point "Window
Manager". There you should see a list of available and GNOME
compatible window managers. Can you start one at this point?
If you don't see a list of window managers, it seems that you haven't
installed one. For example you could try the package 'gnome-sawmill'.

> How does one "upgrade" Gnome to the new Helix code so that I can
> see if this fixes my 2.2_r0 install?

I just wanted to mention Helix GNOME. :)
The GNOME version in Potato is quiet old, Helix GNOME is quiet
uptodate (same for the Debian GNOME in Woody). The Helix packages are
build for use on both, Potato and Woody. Well, I read some reports
here about some problems with the Helix GNOME packages (I never had
real problems - but I'm only one..).

If you want to try out Helix GNOME (http://www.helixcode.com/) - just
add the following line to your sources.list:

deb http://spidermonkey.helixcode.com/distributions/debian unstable main

I think, a dist-upgrade (don't forget the apt-get update) should
cleanly update the installed GNOME packages - but I don't know..

Before starting the new GNOME, you should move or rm your ~/.gnome-*
dirs - then the new GNOME won't read your old configuration files.

	moritz
--
Moritz Schulte <moritz@chaosdorf.de> http://hp9001.fh-bielefeld.de/~moritz/
Debian/GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org/ http://www.gnu.org