Re: Serious problem with potato

    EGM>  Put the /usr/local entry, after /usr.  /usr is getting mounted
    EGM> on top of your /usr/local partition, hence the identical
    EGM> values.  I think I'd also mount /home somewhere near the last
    EGM> entry.  Linux is kinda funny about allowing a partition to be
    EGM> mounted more than once (reportedly a feature, rather than a
    EGM> bug).

Eric,

I fixed /etc/fstab to mount /usr before /usr/local (as per Nate's
email), so that problem has been solved. Come to think of it, it was
pretty silly of me to make the same mistake on two systems. Maybe I
should read the partitioning/disks-HOWTO.

I don't understand what you mean by mounting /home somewhere near the
last entry. Do you mean that I should be mounting /home last after /,
/usr, /var, and /tmp ?

What would be the advantage of mounting /home as you suggest ?

Also, while I am on the subject of disks and partitions, does it make
any difference in terms of speed/performance 'where' a partition resides
? I.e should a partition like /usr be amongst the first partitions in
the logical partition space (hda5,6, etc.) or should it be towards the
end (hda10,11,12,etc.) ?

Thanks.

--
Salman Ahmed