Re: Finding and installing lp.o from 2.2.15

On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 02:28:39AM -0600, Gordon Pedersen wrote:
> (Please reply to gordon@visi.com in addition to debian-users.
> Thanks.)
>
> What are my options?

If I were you I'd install the kernel 2.2.18 source, the kernel-package
package, and build a kernel.  yes. it's a bit daunting the firstr
time, but I figured it out a few years ago and I'm not the brightest
bulb on the tree :)  The kernel-package setup makes it all really
easy.

Here's what you do:

  - Install kernel-source, kernel-package, fakeroot, and libncurses5-dev
  - make menuconfig (or make xconfig) make sure you pick the lp and
    parport modules!
  - run `kernel-package --clean'
  - run `fakeroot kernel-package --revision=local.2.2.18-1 kernel_image'
  - cd ..; dpkg -i kernel-image-2.2.18_local.2.2.18-1_i386.deb

That's it!  Modules will be installed where they should be, lilo will
run if you want it (and you point it at a generic target like
/vmlinuz).  Of course it's a good idea to check your lilo config and
run it again as root before you reboot :)

> Simply install some package?  Must I upgrade first?
> If so, what package gets me a slew of modules, or at least the lp.o
> module?

You could punt on the above, and run

  `apt-get install kernel-image-2.2.18pre21'

> Compile from source?
> -----------------------------------
> I have the file kernel-source-2.2.15.tar.  I know that lp.c is in
> there, but I wonder if all the header files, etc, that I need are
> there.  (I don't often compile c programs, and don't undertand well
> enough how debian divvies up the various files into packages.)
>
> I haven't found a document which describes how to proceed to locate
> all the pieces and compile a module from source, but could probably
> follow it if I had one.

You could follow the directions above with your 2.2.15 source, but
2.2.15 has enough problems that I'd go with newer code.

Good luck!

Micromuse Inc.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.