Re: OT: regular expression question

    Frodo> Take the palindrome w=aaa...abb...b where there are n 'a' and n
    >>  That's not a palindrome.  A palindrome is a word in which the first
    >> "half" is the reverse of the second "half" (half is in quotes because
    >> the word may have an odd number of letters).  For example abccba is a
    >> palindrome.  Or abcba.
    >>
    >> AFAICT the pumping lemma still works.  I'm just too lazy/tired to apply
    >> it.

    Eric> Palindromes aren't restricted to words, and can ignore punctuation
    Eric> and space.

    Eric> A Man, a Plan, a Canal, Panama

    Eric> or

    Eric> Able was I ere I saw Elba

It all depends on what you mean when you say "word".  I used it in the abstract
sense, which is just a string of characters.  So abcba is a word, even though
it is not an English word.

Strictly, "A Man, a Plan, a Canal, Panama" is not a palindrome if you're
talking about abstract words, because of commas and spaces, but
"amanaplanacanalpanama" is.  (And "amanaplanacanalpanama" is also a word in the
abstract sense.)  But if you want to treat spaces, punctuation, and
capitalization as irrelevant decorations, then you could say that "A Man, a
Plan, a Canal, Panama" is the same as "amanaplanacanalpanama" and is a
palindrome.

Hubert

--
____     |     -----------------------------------------------------------
|  /   --+--
| /   ___|___    Hubert Chan <hackerhue@crosswinds.net>
|        |       K? w--- O++ M- V- PS-- PE+++ Y+ PGP+ t+ 5 X R- tv+ b+
|      / | \     DI++++ D G e++ h! !r !y
|     /  |  \
|        |     <><------------------ http://www.crosswinds.net/~hackerhue/

PGP/GnuPG fingerprint: 6CC5 822D 2E55 494C 81DD  6F2C 6518 54DF 71FD A37F
Key can be found at http://www.crosswinds.net/~hackerhue/hackerhue.asc