Re: sound

On Fri 08 Dec 00,  1:21 PM, Eileen Orbell said...
> Hi,
>
> I am having problems with sound.  I installed a sound blaster 16 card and
> then recompiled the kernel
> and when I run startx and gnome starts up I get a error message saying:
> Cannot connect to Sound Daemon the Sound Daemon can be started by running ESD.
> If i typed esd at the command prompt I get the error:
>
> /dev/dsp no such device...

a good sign that the module ain't loaded.

> Am I missing something here?  I did install the sound blaster 16 module
> when recompiling my kernel.

just because the module should've been loaded doesn't mean it was loaded
*correctly*.

the first thing to do is look at /var/log/messages and grep for any relevent
information.   also, look for irq conflicts in /proc/interrupts.

unfortunately, module errors at boot don't get logged...

pete