Re: New to Debian -- simple questions

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 09:41:59AM -0500, Hall Stevenson wrote:
> Okay, I recently switched to Debian after using RedHat and
> Mandrake-Linux for 2-3 years... Right off the bat, there are two
> things I'd like to change.
>
> 1) Get rid of the login message that displays at the console after
> typing in my name and password. I read through /etc/login.defs and
> there was a reference to a file that I thought this message was coming
> from, but the file didn't exist.
/etc/motd

> 2) When I logout, I want the screen to clear so that the login prompt
> is at the top (and it gets rid of any old text that now gets left
> onscreen). I seem to recall on the Sparcs we used to use that there
> was a .$SHELL_logout file.
try this:
# cd /etc
# mv issue issue.old
# clear > issue
# cat issue.old >> issue
# rm issue.old

> Hmmmm, I just checked a RedHat machine here at work and see a
> .bash_logout file ;-) It's (2) lines, and the second line is "clear".
> I think I can take care of # 2 myself !
read above, putting it in issue is a better solution (imho), this will
clear it _before_ displaying a login prompt, not after a logout

> Thanks in advance... more questions likely to come along soon !
that's the use of debian-user :)
--
> Name:           Alson van der Meulen      <
> Personal:       alson@linuxfreak.nl       <
> School:       alson@gymnasiumleiden.nl    <
hey, what does mkfs do?