Re: New to Debian -- simple questions

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 09:41:59AM -0500, Hall Stevenson wrote:
> Okay, I recently switched to Debian after using RedHat and
> Mandrake-Linux for 2-3 years... Right off the bat, there are two
> things I'd like to change.
>
> 1) Get rid of the login message that displays at the console after
> typing in my name and password. I read through /etc/login.defs and
> there was a reference to a file that I thought this message was coming
> from, but the file didn't exist.

    # Edit /etc/login.defs to enable HUSHLOGIN

    # change to your home directory
    bash$ cd

    # create the 'hushlogin' file, which suppresses the motd
    bash$ touch .hushlogin

Also, did you see this in your /etc/login.defs?

    OBSOLETED BY PAM ##############
    #                       #
    # These options are now handled by PAM. Please  #
    # edit the appropriate file in /etc/pam.d/ to   #
    # enable the equivelants of them.
    #

    #MOTD_FILE

This means that you must go into /etc/pam.d and change the options for
'login'.

There is a PAM Administrators Guide that you can download.

    libpam-doc - Documentation of PAM

Good luck.

--
Chad "^chewie, gunnarr" Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>