Re: RESOLVED: all mail getting deferred

I once had a problem similar to what you originally described.

The culprit turned out to be a secondary mapping in hosts for the
address record of the MX. In this case, it was a very bad nonsense
address in the 192.168.x.x block.

Whether mail would be delivered or deferred seemed to rely on a
complex algorithm involving a coin toss and the price of beef.