Re: How to make diald coexist with eth0?

on Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 11:30:03AM -0800, Krzys Majewski (majewski@cs.ubc.ca) wrote:
> kmself@ix.netcom.com writes:
>
> > You want to re-set your routing tables with your network configuration
> > scripts.  There are mechanisms in place for doing this with the ifup and
> > ifdown commands -- directories in which scripts are placed to be run at
> > when an interface is en/dis abled.  Firewall and proxy rules, for
> > example.
>
> Sorry, I didn't understand a word of that.
> -chris

When you establish an eth0 or diald connection, one or the other is
identified as your gateway connection.  Frexample, my home setup is:

  .--------.    .-------.     (~~~~~~~~~~~~~)
  |        |    |       |      )           (
  | navel  |    | jung	|     (   Internet  )
  |   eth0 =====   eth0 |      )           (
  |        |    | modem ========            )
  `--------'    `-------'      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My routing table on navel is specifies the *internal* network as the
gateway:

    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination     Gateway    Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
    introspect      jung       255.255.255.0   UG    0      0        0 eth0
    introspect      *          255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
    default         jung       0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

...whereas if I were to fire up the modem on navel, I'd assign *it* to
be the default (gateway) route.

Check out the Network Administrator's Guide.