Re: How to make diald coexist with eth0?

on Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 01:18:44AM -0800, Krzys Majewski (majewski@cs.ubc.ca) wrote:
> How can I set things up so  that, if the eth0 interface can't be upped
> (for example, the cable modem  is unplugged, or something is broken on
> the  remote end),  diald  is started?   I  guess I  could  put an  "if
> ifconfig eth0; then  ..." in /etc/init.d/diald.  But is  this the best
> way?  Just now my cable modem was unplugged, and the machine seemed to
> hang at boot.  I don't want it to  hang. I want it to  say, "OK, looks
> like we  can't up  eth0, let's try  diald instead", or  something like
> that. Whatever. Any suggestion must  be better than my current method,
> which is
>
> cd /etc/init.d
> su
> mv diald-renamed diald
> ./diald start

You want to re-set your routing tables with your network configuration
scripts.  There are mechanisms in place for doing this with the ifup and
ifdown commands -- directories in which scripts are placed to be run at
when an interface is en/dis abled.  Firewall and proxy rules, for
example.