Re: 3dfx/Mesa on Potato

"Rob" == Rob VanFleet <rvf@linux-cs.tccw.wku.edu> writes:

> I've been trying to set up mesag3-glide2 to work with a Voodoo3 on
> my Potato box, and I've met a few snags.  Here is my primary
> problem, specifics will follow: Any time I try to execute any OpenGL
> app, like the morph3d, I get this message: "_GlideInitEnvironment:
> libglide2x.so expected Voodoo Graphics, none detected"

I had this message too :)  This went away after I built the device3dfx
module.  I have a Voodoo2, otherwise similar setup to yours.

> Now for my setup: I have MESA_GLX_FX set to "fullscreen", I am a
> member of the video group so I can access /dev/3dfx (I also tried
> morph3d as root just to be sure, same thing), and I have the 3dfx
> module loaded.

ok, sounds good.

> Now here's the odd thing, when I built the device3dfx with buildpkg,
> the deb it produced wanted to place the module in "/lib/misc" rather
> than "/lib/modules/2.2.17/misc", so I had to copy it there (I later

That's weird, mine went straight into /lib/modules/2.2.17/misc, where
I left it alone.  But then, I used the kernel-package method to build
it.  It was extremely straightforward.  Perhaps give that a try?

> moved the module to "/lib/modules/2.2.17/video" since that's where
> it should be I assume.  Also, rather than updating
> /etc/modutils/aliases, it simply dumped a file into /etc/modutils
> called "device3dfx-module-.." which contained the alias, so then I
> also updated /etc/modutils/aliases with "alias char-major-107 3dfx".

You didn't have to do that.  All you had to do is run 'update-modules'
as root.  It would fold the alias in the 'device3dfx-module-2.2.17'
file into /etc/modules.conf for you.

=wl

--
Albert ``Willy'' Lee, Emacs user, game programmer
"They call me CRAZY - just because I DARE to DREAM of a RACE of