Re: Xemacs 21.1 and Gnus 5.8.3

"Gary" == Gary Hennigan <glhenni@sandia.gov> writes:

> "Willy Lee" <willy2@jps.net> writes:
>>
>> Hm, this doesn't seem right.  Should be #.newsrc-dribble#, and that
>> should be deleted after quitting Gnus.  Gnus should save the groups
>> and read articles to the .newsrc and .newrc.eld files after
>> quitting.  Also, my (2.2r2) Gnus version in Xemacs is 5.8.7.

> You have 5.8.7? Did you use the XEmacs package management system to
> install it? My guess is that you did. Potato comes with 5.8.3-9 and,
> as far as I can tell, that hasn't changed with any updates, and I
> update the machine at least once a week.

Heh, you're right, I forgot that I did that.  I don't do it very often
:)

> I've avoided using XEmacs' package management, as I'm afraid it'll
> cause a conflict with Debian package management. Can anyone tell me
> what the policy on this is?

I don't think it should conflict, should it?  Many of the XEmacs packages
are elisp packages that aren't handled by Debian.  But then, there are
many that _are_ handled by Debian as separate packages... Hm, I hadn't really
thought of this as a problem, but now I wonder....

=wl
--
Albert ``Willy'' Lee, Emacs user, game programmer
"They call me CRAZY - just because I DARE to DREAM of a RACE of