3dfx/Mesa on Potato

I've been trying to set up mesag3-glide2 to work with a Voodoo3 on my Potato box, and I've met a few snags.

Here is my primary problem, specifics will follow:
Any time I try to execute any OpenGL app, like the morph3d, I get this message:
"_GlideInitEnvironment: libglide2x.so expected Voodoo Graphics, none detected"

Now for my setup:
I have MESA_GLX_FX set to "fullscreen", I am a member of the video group so I
can access /dev/3dfx (I also tried morph3d as root just to be sure, same
thing), and I have the 3dfx module loaded.

Now here's the odd thing, when I built the device3dfx with buildpkg, the deb it
produced wanted to place the module in "/lib/misc" rather than
"/lib/modules/2.2.17/misc", so I had to copy it there (I later moved the module
to "/lib/modules/2.2.17/video" since that's where it should be I assume.  Also,
rather than updating /etc/modutils/aliases, it simply dumped a file into
/etc/modutils called "device3dfx-module-.." which contained the alias, so then
I also updated /etc/modutils/aliases with "alias char-major-107 3dfx".

This behavior is the same on anything, including any of the mesademos hacks.

Anyone have an idea as to how I can fix this?

-Rob