Re: Kernel config questions: SCSI, Tux and letters

On December  5, 2000 07:20 pm, Ignasi Tura wrote:

> I have a SCSI card Symbios Logic 53c400. Searching list archives I
> read that the kernel option for my card was the NCR 5380.
>
> But if I look the kernel options in SCSI low-level drivers I find the
> following options:
>
> NCR53c7,8xx SCSI support
> NCR53C8XX SCSI support
>
> and a final
>
> SYM53C8XX SCSI support
>
> What one should I choose?
>
> The symbios 53c416 no, isn't it?

I have one that came with an HP scanner and have had no luck with it.
The drive you want is "Generic NCR53800/53c400".

Read /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/README.g_NCR5380 for some info.

The card I have has only 1 jumper with no marking, but doen't show up
in a pnpdump.  I found an FAQ from HP that said the card automatically
gets an address and gives a list of possible addresses.  None of these
work.  The machine locks up with a message about bus timeout.  Even
stranger is the way it does the same thing if the card is not installed.

I was hoping to hook the scanner up to this to share across the network
with SANE, but a SCSI card would cost more than the machine is worth.

--
Shawn D'Alimonte   sdalimon@home.com