newbie XDM question

I set up X on my ThinkPad T20, and although X works fine after some tweaking, I'm having troubles with xdm.

The xlogin comes up after my laptop has booted, but I can't get past the login phase. When I enter the correct userID and password, the screen flickers, freezes briefly, and then sends me right back to the login screen. At least it's recognizing that I'm a user. When I type in the wrong info, it immediately tells me that that the info isn't good.

I was looking at the .xsession-error file in my home directory, and it's showing me...

-----
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by serverM
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to ServerM
xrdb: Can't open display ':0'
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by serverM
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to ServerM
xrdb: Can't open display ':0'

Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to ServerM
/usr/bin/X11/WindowMaker fatal error: could not open display ":0"
-----

Can somebody shed some light here? I don't have any trouble starting up X with startx from the terminal, but even if I try to go in as root, I still can't get past xdm. Is there something on xdm that I have to specifically configure?

Steve