kernel-module confusion

Hai all.
This is my first ever post to a newsgroup, so please forgive me if I do/say
something weird...

I use potato, and have been trying the 2.4test-kernels for a couple of
weeks.

I have trouble using modules that I compile with the kernel. Whenever I
compile a kernel that uses modules I type : make dep clean bzImage modules
modules_install. I think this should work.

When this works, however, I think there should be some file called
'modules.dep' in the /lib/modules/2.4.0-test10/. This file is present,
however: it is empty. All the modules seem to have been made, and installed
in the right place, but this modules.dep file, that I guess is needed to
load modules with modprobe, is completely empty.

Could someone shine a light on this for me? Thanks a lot!

Maart.

ps: if the info I give is lacking in anyway, please don't hesitate to say
so!