Re: kernel-module confusion

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 10:29:01PM +0000, maart wrote:
> Hai all.
> This is my first ever post to a newsgroup, so please forgive me if I do/say
> something weird...
>
> I use potato, and have been trying the 2.4test-kernels for a couple of
> weeks.
>
> I have trouble using modules that I compile with the kernel. Whenever I
> compile a kernel that uses modules I type : make dep clean bzImage modules
> modules_install. I think this should work.
>
> When this works, however, I think there should be some file called
> 'modules.dep' in the /lib/modules/2.4.0-test10/. This file is present,
> however: it is empty. All the modules seem to have been made, and installed
> in the right place, but this modules.dep file, that I guess is needed to
> load modules with modprobe, is completely empty.

Run `depmod -a' as root once you complete the above steps.  This is
supposed to happen on reboot; at least that's how the boot scripts
used to work.

<blatant plug>
You should install and use the package "kernel-package" to build your
kernels ... it's quite slick
</blatant plug>

Micromuse Inc.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.