Re: Loading Modules (PLIP)

I'm following up on a query of my own from some time ago, in case it's
of use to anybody who has encountered similar problems.

I wrote:

|>                                                one of my
|> frustrations since upgrading to 2.2. series kernels has been that I
|> lost PLIP.  .... If I try to load the plip module, I get just this
|> error message:
|>
|>  % insmod plip
|>    Using /lib/modules/2.2.17/net/plip.o
|>    /lib/modules/2.2.17/net/plip.o: init_module: Device or resource
|>    busy
|>    Hint: this error can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
|>    including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

The solution was to tell the parport driver explicitly which IRQ to
use:

  echo 7 > /proc/parport/0/irq

I don't know why this is necessary, but the PLIP module loaded without
complaint afterwards.

Jim