Re: XFree86 4.0.1 packages and Potato

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000 10:45:28 +0100 (CET), Erik Noort said:

> Hiya
>
>  I'm wondering how things are standing with XFree86 4.0.1 packages for
>  Debian 2.2 (Potato). I've noticed that they are already available for
>  Woody, but not for Potato. I've tried to compile the woody source package,
>  but I keep recompiling libs to get it the libs compiled I need to get X
>  compiled, so if I would continu I would probably end up having a Woody system.
>  Is there any solution to this, apart from switching to Woody?
>
>  Thanks a lot in advance,
>    Erik Noort
>
>  PS I need XF86 4.0.1 to get my Matrox G450 working.

	I have a mainly potato installation and added XFree86- 4 from
woody. Now that its configured it runs without problems. Biggest
hassle was the xf86config. I could not get any config setup program (including
the preferred dexter) to config the new xserver.
	Finally setup an ATI rage 128 pro from instructions on a
web site. It works fine.
	However i have not been able to get the matrox G450 working
even with the new mga driver from matrox and many configuration
attempts. I could never get the xserver to come up. At this point
i have no clues about getting the G450 to work under XFree86-4
even with single head display.
	If you come up with a working xf86Config for the G450 or
any suggestions please let me know. I have asked on this list,
but no replies yet about G450 working under XF86-4.