Re: Postgres Port Problem (and other port issues)

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000 06:10:55 -0800 (PST)
Chris Mayes <cmayes3@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've finally managed to connect.  It looks like psql is acting odd
> (then again, maybe this is the default behavior... I am normally a
> MySQL/Oracle user).  Basically, psql requires that I explicitly supply
> a hostname.  So, even though psql complains about being refused on port
> 5432 on localhost, I can connect as the user postgres by using 'psql -h
> localhost.'
>
> I don't imagine that this is the default behavior since the regression
> test fails because of the 'connection refused' error.

I do not need to specify a host. Localhost is used by default
here. Also, if I do not specify a database, that with my name is
chosen, but usually I do specify one.

My guess now is that you are having troubles with your network
setup. Debian usually is set up to respond as localhost on 127.0.0.1,
but also having a hostname and domain name. I'm not sure, but would
suspect that psql takes the environment variable for HOST or something
the like, to find out a default host. Does this work for you?

	ping $HOSTNAME

Alternatively, you might want to set this variable to localhost (not
sure if this is a good idea). Also it's possible that you find out the
environment variable psql is using. Have a look at the files in
/etc/postgres...

--
Christoph Simon
ciccio@prestonet.com.br