Printer woes

Hi again,

I earlier sent a message about problems I have been having getting a
printer to work under kernel 2.4.0-test11.  Well, I since have tried
it under a 2.15 kernel on a laptop and got the same problem ---
printer not active or something to that effect.

I also took the printer home where I have a computer (using a
2.4.0-test10 kernel) with a printer where everything works.  I
connected up the problem printer instead, and it doesn't work!  Except
that here the problem is a bit different.  Here it doesn't say the
printer is not active, or offline.  On the contrary, it says that it
is active and printing, the only problem is that all that happens, is
that after a suitable period of time (1 minute or so, maybe 2) it
claims to have finished printing when in actual fact nothing has
printed at all!

Now why this is different behaviour from the original desktop (and the
laptop) I do not know.  Perhaps because the more sophisticated
parallel port communication stuff was compiled into the kernels of the
former?  I don't know.  But the bottom line is that the printer
doesn't seem to be working whichever computer I attach it to.

I know that printing works for my home desktop, so it seems to me that
it probably is a problem with the printer.  I swapped cables and that
didn't change matters, so it would seem to be a problem with the
actual printer.  It is a Canon BJC-4200.

So, the question that I have is....

What should I do now?  Should I just take the printer to some repair
shop (can anyone recommend anyone?)?  Or are there other simple things
I could do to try and fix the problem?  Is there something simple I am
missing?

Are there any other ways I could check whether it is really a problem
with the printer?  (I could always, shock, horror, try and use it
under windows --- of course that would mean having to work out how to
set it up under windows).

Well I suppose this email is as much me thinking out aloud than
anything else, but if anyone has some useful feedback, I'd love to
hear it.

Thanks,

Mark.

--