Re: Laptops for Debian GNU/Linux?

On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, Nate Amsden wrote:
> I would say
>
> Avoid toshiba

This isn't quite fair to Mr. Amsden, who it seems has a lot of experience
with linux on laptops, but--please be careful with statements that lump
together all laptops of a certain brand. Experiences with a few
representatives of a brand are not sufficient to generalize.  If you look
through Mr. Harker's linux-laptops page, you'll find some happy Toshiba
users as well as some less happy ones, and the same is true across all
brands.

I'm guessing that only a very small percentage of laptop buyers are
expecting to make significant use of GNU/Linux, and even fewer are
planning to use exclusively GNU/Linux.  As a result, no-one thinks too
hard about, say, replacing a perfectly good hardware modem in one model
with a winmodem in the next (otherwise extremely similar) model.  So you
just have to research individual models, unless you can find someone who
will sell your OS of choice pre-installed.

I'm quite happy with my Sony 505tr, but it's over a year old now (and it's
discontinued), and from what I've heard the newer Sony 505's aren't as
good for Linux.  But, again, it may well depend on the particular model.

Research, research, research....
--Bruce F.