Re: mouse middle button not working in X

On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 04:15:22PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> Yes, I used to have "/dev/gpmdata" as well at one time. I tried it again
> now and it does allow the mouse to work both in console and X. However,
> the middle button still doesn't work, but I've gone back to a 2-button
> genuine Microsoft mouse which can at least emulate 3 buttons (essential
> for xfig).
I had to fiddle with that too for a while. GPM can act as a repeater onto /dev/gpmdata, which X can read from. But you *still* need to tell X about the mouse type of the "mouse" on /dev/gpmdata. For some protocols, gpm can repeat the mouse in a different protocol, but this feature doesn't isn't implemented for all protocol combinations.

Bottom line: First make sure that the mouse works completely in console-mode. With all 3 buttons. Then start playing with the -R option on gpm (read: repeat_type in /etc/gpm.conf) and get that to match up with the "Pointer" section in your XF86Config. I guess that you're best off starting with repeat_type=raw :-). Both gpm and XF86Config have decent documentation.

Hope this helps.
--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com