Re: Wierd ISP Email Processing

On Fri, 01 Dec 2000 00:57:03 PST, garyjones@linuxfreemail.com writes:
>Robert Waldner <Waldner@KPNQwest.at> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 14:34:23 PST, Steve Witt writes:
>>>  sfrc-request@airage.com:
>>>    SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<sfrc-request@airage.com>:
>>>    host smtp.flashcom.net.criticalpath.net [209.228.150.115]:
>>>    553 To send mail, first check your mail with a valid POP account; this p
>re
>>>vents unauthorized SPAM relaying. (#5.7.1)
>>you have
>>two options:
>>- run fetchmail before you flush your queue
>[snip]
>>- do not relay, deliver yourself
>
>Might the latter run afoul of the MAPS (www.mail-abuse.org) dialup
>list (DUL), maybe resulting in mail not being delivered? I haven't
>looked into this too closely yet, as I don't do direct to MX delivery
>at the moment, but that is the way it has read when I have glanced at
>the webpages. If so then it is A Bad Thing, IMO, and hurts legitimate
>users as well as spammers; they might as well hang out a white flag.

It might, but whether your ISPs dialup-addresses are actually
 DUL-listed is best tried trial&error (or looked up on their page if
 that´s possible).

>I guess another option would be to patch your MTA to do a POP check
>first, and then send outgoing mail.

I remember seeing about this on this list, check the archives.

&rw
--
/  Ing. Robert Waldner  | Network Engineer | T: +43 1 89933  F: x533 \
\ <Waldner@KPNQwest.at> |    KPNQwest/AT   | Diefenbachg. 35, A-1150 /