Re: Wierd ISP Email Processing

Robert Waldner <Waldner@KPNQwest.at> wrote:

>On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 14:34:23 PST, Steve Witt writes:
>>  sfrc-request@airage.com:
>>    SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<sfrc-request@airage.com>:
>>    host smtp.flashcom.net.criticalpath.net [209.228.150.115]:
>>    553 To send mail, first check your mail with a valid POP account; this pre
>>vents unauthorized SPAM relaying. (#5.7.1)
>>

>This is simple SMTP-after-POP, some ISPs allow relaying through them
>only if they know who sits on the IP which is sending them mail.

Agreed. Places like altavista do this too. Damned annoying when you
forget to 'authenticate' first, but if it defeats U*E relaying I can
live with the inconvenience caused by my own stupidity.

>you have
>two options:
>- run fetchmail before you flush your queue
[snip]
>- do not relay, deliver yourself

Might the latter run afoul of the MAPS (www.mail-abuse.org) dialup
list (DUL), maybe resulting in mail not being delivered? I haven't
looked into this too closely yet, as I don't do direct to MX delivery
at the moment, but that is the way it has read when I have glanced at
the webpages. If so then it is A Bad Thing, IMO, and hurts legitimate
users as well as spammers; they might as well hang out a white flag.

I guess another option would be to patch your MTA to do a POP check
first, and then send outgoing mail.

--
Gary

Get your own FREE E-mail address at http://www.linuxfreemail.com
Linux FREE Mail is 100% FREE, 100% Linux, and 100% yours!