Re: Who is 'nobody'?

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> on Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 04:37:47PM -0200, Henrique M Holschuh (hmh+debianml@rcm.org.br) wrote:
> > 'nobody' is a 'system' user. User 'nobody' should never ever have ANY files
> > in the filesystem (if it does, that's probably a security hole), and should

>     -rw-rw----    1 nobody   mail        12487 Jun  2  2000
>     /var/spool/mail/nobody

You should probably have nobody as an alias for root in your email
routing... (and root as an alias for someone else, actually).

>     /tmp/.font-unix:
>     total 0
>     srwxrwxrwx    1 nobody   nogroup         0 Nov 19 04:02 fs7100
>     srwxr-xr-x    1 root     root            0 Nov 19 04:02 fs7101

For Xfree86 3.3.6 I think one could crash an Xserver by killing the font
server. It's a good thing that unliking a socket won't kill the pipe of
anything that has opened it already... (AFAIK, that is).

Anyway, the above are not security risks. Do notice the sticky bit set in
the directory.

> I'm not sure that nobody should own *no* files.  But files owned by
> nobody *should* be minimized.  Note that nobody is just another

Yes, indeed. 'nobody' should own only files that in no way allow a security
compromise.

> In some cases, daemons run as 'nobody' (apache under RH, I believe), and
> it may be necessary to create temporary files as 'nobody'.
>
> Other thoughts?

Filesystem races are a major problem, if the daemon running as 'nobody' does
not act in an extremely paranoid way when creating its temp files. This is a
rather common exploit technique.

  Henrique Holschuh