Kernel problems

Hopefully this will be my last problem for today :-)

I can't seem to get the 2.2.17 kernel to build and install correctly.
It seems to run, but there are three problems that concern me.

1. When the kernel boots, it complains that some symbols don't match
what's in the System.map. That can't be good :-). I've run make clean;
make dep; make; make modules; make install; make modules_install,
from the kernel sources directory, and I'm not sure else to try.
(FWIW, the vmlinux and System.map files in /boot match the ones in
the /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage and /usr/src/linux/System.map).

2. Attempting to load the nfs module, I'm told:

hermes:/home/ndw# modprobe nfs
/lib/modules/2.2.17/fs/lockd.o: unresolved symbol do_lockdctl
/lib/modules/2.2.17/fs/lockd.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.2.17/fs/lockd.o failed
/lib/modules/2.2.17/fs/lockd.o: insmod nfs failed

Um, but ksyms says I've got that symbol:

hermes:/var/log# ksyms -a | grep lockd
c01c5414  do_lockdctl_R__ver_do_lockdctl

3. Finally, the parport doesn't seem to load. But that's the least of my
worries. It's possible I don't have the right config params for it, I'm
mentioning it just in case someone thinks it's related...

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | The stone fell on the pitcher? Woe to