Re: Kernel problems

Did you use kernel-package?  It's a wonderful thing for maintaining kernels.
It will help you easily create a .deb package from which you can install your
custom kernel image.  And you can create that package as a regular user (one
less thing you have to do as root!).

Once installed, check out /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/

There's a file in there that gives you the quick-and-dirty 6-step method for
creating your own custom debian kernel package, and then goes into the
details.  I think it's much better to have that package show up in the
packaging system, since I can then control upgrades of my custom kernel by
just putting a hold on that package.

On Thursday 30 November 2000 11:37, Norman Walsh wrote:
> Hopefully this will be my last problem for today :-)
>
> I can't seem to get the 2.2.17 kernel to build and install correctly.
> It seems to run, but there are three problems that concern me.
>
> 1. When the kernel boots, it complains that some symbols don't match
> what's in the System.map. That can't be good :-). I've run make clean;
> make dep; make; make modules; make install; make modules_install,
> from the kernel sources directory, and I'm not sure else to try.
> (FWIW, the vmlinux and System.map files in /boot match the ones in
> the /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage and /usr/src/linux/System.map).
>
> 2. Attempting to load the nfs module, I'm told:
>
> hermes:/home/ndw# modprobe nfs
> /lib/modules/2.2.17/fs/lockd.o: unresolved symbol do_lockdctl
> /lib/modules/2.2.17/fs/lockd.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.2.17/fs/lockd.o
> failed /lib/modules/2.2.17/fs/lockd.o: insmod nfs failed
>
> Um, but ksyms says I've got that symbol:
>
> hermes:/var/log# ksyms -a | grep lockd
> c01c5414  do_lockdctl_R__ver_do_lockdctl
>
> 3. Finally, the parport doesn't seem to load. But that's the least of my
> worries. It's possible I don't have the right config params for it, I'm
> mentioning it just in case someone thinks it's related...

Did you know that if you play a Windows 2000 cd backwards, you
will hear the voice of Satan?

That's nothing!  If you play it forward, it'll install Windows 2000.