Re: recommend a secure shell client for Windows

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 05:27:24AM -0500, Harry Henry Gebel wrote:
> A friend of mine wants me to set up an account for him on our server, and
> since I do not allow telnet logins he needs a Windows SSH client. I checked
> around and there are quite a number of them out there, can anybody
> recommend which is the best? I do not have a Windows machine to test them

putty.

its the only windows ssh client that does a decent job of terminal
emulation.

just enter `putty' into your nearest google, its the very first hit.

> out on, but I figured this must be a pretty common problem so somebody must
> have a good idea of which one is the best. Once he has attained
> proficiency on the command line I want him to be able to use X, so it would
> be nice if it is a client that supports port forwarding (of course at that
> point I will have to find a Windows X server for him, but that is a problem
> I'll deal with when it comes up, maybe by then he'll be willing to put
> Linux on one of his machines.)

nah once he has proficiency in the command line erase windows and
install Debian GNU/Linux then he will have a X server installed that
does not cost some significant coin.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/