Re: coping with a high-volume mailing list (like this one)?

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 01:00:37 -0500
"Brenda J. Butler" <bjb@achilles.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 12:51:17AM -0500, Brenda J. Butler wrote:
> > I use mutt for my mail client, and exim for my mail transfer agent
> (MTA).
> > I use fetchmail to download my email from my isp to my machine and
> > I look at it locally.  I use procmail to pre-sort the email into
> > folders (one just for debian-user) and when I have a question
> > I bring up the debian-user folder and run searches in it.
>
> Oh yes I forgot:  debian-user grows very quickly (and I don't
> delete any mail), so once a month I move the folder to a new
> name like "debian-user-yyyymm" and start a new one "debian-user".
>
> For slower-growing folders (like debian-sparc) I do that
> once a year.  "debian-sparc-yyyy"
>
> Since I have a slow modem, I don't mind downloading all that
> mail and archiving it locally, so I can do quicker searches
> when I need info.
>
> For other people, perhaps you should just run searches against
> the mail archives on the web.

Well I am surprised and disappointed if debian-users are simply scanning
messages in order to receive help when *they* need it. I like to scan the
list to see if I can offer any help, as well as receiving it. The list
would collapse if it became a on-way street.

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Storm Linux 2000