Re: coping with a high-volume mailing list (like this one)?

I use mutt for my mail client, and exim for my mail transfer agent (MTA).
I use fetchmail to download my email from my isp to my machine and
I look at it locally.  I use procmail to pre-sort the email into
folders (one just for debian-user) and when I have a question
I bring up the debian-user folder and run searches in it.

If your isp supports IMAP protocol, then you can download
just header information about your emails, and you can download
just the email bodies you are interested in and delete the
rest without downloading.

I don't use it and haven't investigated it beyond the above,
so I can't advise you further on which packages work with IMAP.
You would use IMAP protocol instead of POP3 protocol.

--
bjb@achilles.net