Sound

I've been trying to get some sound out of my Linux system, and am pretty baffled. I gather there are several different ways to do it, and would like to know if there is a preferred one. I have an ISA AWE-64 soundblaster on a 2.2.17 kernel, AMD K6-2, potato system with some woody enhancements. I'm running GNOME-Helix.

1) The Mini-Howto on SB is a bit old, and it's not clear to me if it's still applicable. At any rate, it is not directed at Debian packages. The main Sound How-To is current, but again isn't addressed to Debian packaging.

2) I had decided (based on it's own description? or the fact that it seemed to be more loadable than the alternatives? it's been awhile) that the Alsa system was the way to go. However, there are various pieces, and their interrelations are not clear to me (base, library, modules, drivers, utililties, ...). There didn't seem to be a "task" or a good package (I had hoped the utilities might do it) which will pull everything in.

The modules that are there are for a much earlier version of the kernel than potato uses, and there doesn't seem to be anything for the current one. Joey H asked about this a few weeks ago. My interpretation of the response was that alsa was packaged so you had to get the source and build from it.

One of the attractions of the module based approach seemed to me that one didn't need to go recompiling things to get them to work, so this didn't grab me much.

3) There's a SB specific package, but I'm not sure what sound model it participates in, and what additional stuff I would need to do to use it.

4) And then there are some other things that I think represent the more traditional sound model.

Also, I would like to know a simple test to see if sound is working.

I'm hoping there's an analogy to, for example, exim. There are lots of mail transports, but there's one that's encouraged and (sort of) easy to set up. So I'd appreciate any pointers. By the way, the hardware emits sounds on other OS's, so I know everything is hooked up.