Re: /var/log/messages questions

Michelle Murrain wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> 2 strange (to me) messages appear in my /var/log/messages file. Any ideas on
> these?
>
> First, simply:
>
> Nov 28 10:41:52 blackbear -- MARK --
> Nov 28 11:01:52 blackbear -- MARK --
> Nov 28 11:21:52 blackbear -- MARK --
> Nov 28 11:41:52 blackbear -- MARK --
> Nov 28 12:01:52 blackbear -- MARK --
> Nov 28 12:21:52 blackbear -- MARK --
>
> Every 20 minutes. No, I don't have any cron or at jobs going at this interval.

  that's just a mark:-) so that you see that the system was alive and
kicking at that time. you can set the frequency od these messages, I
forgot how...

> Second is more disturbing...
>
> Nov 22 06:26:53 blackbear kernel: Directory sread (sector 0x1b) failed
> Nov 22 06:26:53 blackbear kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
> Nov 22 06:26:53 blackbear kernel: 02:00: rw=0, want=14, limit=4

  I bet 02:00 says which device this message refers to but I have no
clue which one it actually is or what does it mean. I would search the
kernel sources for parts of those messages...

	erik