Re: Ok, please tell me how to install a package without the dpkg

Wesley Wannemacher <wawannem@nc.edu> writes:
WW> I don't think you need to be a programmer, usually the following works
WW> for me to install from source:
WW> Normally one can also start by taking a gander at the README file
WW> (RTFM). For PHP in particular, I used something close to the following
WW> for the configure command:
WW>
WW> ./configure --prefix=/usr --with-apxs --with-mysql --enable-track-vars
WW>  --enable-magic-quotes --enable-trans-sid

For Debian, you should never use --prefix=/usr unless you're in the
process of building a package.  --prefix=/usr/local, which tends to be
the default in autoconfiscated packages, is a much better choice.  (In
the event that you do get dpkg working again, it considers /usr "it's
territory" and will happily step on whatever you've managed to install
there.  On the other hand, it considers /usr/local "the
administrator's space", and Debian policy for the most part forbids
packages from writing into /usr/local.)

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell