mpage & PS docs -- 1-up => 2-up fsckups. StarOffice?

I'm noticing a problem using mpage on some existing PS documents trying
to convert from one-up to two-up.

Specific instance is an Excel spreadsheet, printed to file from
StarOffice (that bloated stuck pig of an office suite), then attempting
to convert the file with mpage to a two-pages-per-sheet with:

    mpage -dp -2 < soffice.ps > soffice-2up.ps

Viewing (or printing) the results with gv flashes up the rendered
content for a moment, then blanks the page.  'gs' has similar results.
This appears to be a problem noted by others (Google, Deja turn up some
references), but I can't seem to find a fix.

Any ideas as to what the problem is and/or how to resolve it?