Re: Ok, please tell me how to install a package without the dpkg system

> On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 07:46:10PM +0100, Benj wrote:
> > Hi,
> > don't ask me why, but I can't use anymore anything related to the dpkg /
> > apt-get system.
>
> Just describe the symptoms - someone will be able to help sort out the
> problem.

Thanks Mark, but I think I have no choice but to reinstall everything :(( I
already submitted the probleme here.
In case you want to know:

I made an apt-get upgrade. It did upgrade my kernel, but I didn't knew my
kernel was a specific kernel for my system patched for raid. I couldn't
reboot my system and had to go to my NOC and restore old kernel.
During this procedure, i've LOST the dpkg status file, so ALL the dpkg
system refering to this status file couldn't run.

I restored an old status file, which is not sync with my system since it was
the old one before the upgrade. Any way, its not really a problem since I
would be able to RE upgrade some package so the status file would be up to
date.

Unfortually, each time I run a dpkg command, here is what I get (in this
case I tried to upgrade php4):

--------
Reading database ... dpkg: error processing php4_4.0.3pl1-4.deb (--install):
 files list file for package `kernel-image-2.2.17' is missing final newline
 php4_4.0.3pl1-4.deb
Processing was halted because there were too many errors.

I don't know why the hell its refering to the kernel. Its on hold and not
supposed to be touched during the php upgrade...

Benj