Re: Froze Up: Lack of Memory

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 12:03:12PM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> on Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 07:20:53AM -0800, Greg Strockbine (gstrock@pacbell.net) wrote:
> > My system totally froze up, apparently to memory exhaustion?  Can this
> > be?
>
> Similarly, 256 MB, recently upgraded from 96 MB.  First thing I did was
> open a bunch of monsters and, sure enough, killed the box.  Rebooted
> with magic sys rq.

Won't ALT-SysRq-K kill all of the programs on the X terminal, thereby
probably killing the process using the most memory and keeping you from
having to reboot)? The Sysrq docs imply that it will, but I never found out
about Magic SysRq until after the Mach64 xserver advanced past the stage
where it locks up all of the time, so I haven't been able to test it.

--
Harry Henry Gebel, ICQ# 76308382
West Dover Hundred, Delaware