Re: Why not dselect?

on Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 11:15:37AM -0600, Brian McGroarty (snowfox@yipyap.net) wrote:

> Humor me; I think I'm missing something and it's got me curious.
>

> In discussions about dealing with .deb packages, apt* and dpkg are
> mentioned almost universally.
>
> It's always been my habit to use dselect for basic installation and
> removal, leaning on apt* and dpkg for troubleshooting and extended
> information gathering.
>
> The differentiation seems to be akin to using mutt versus piping
> things to /usr/bin/mail - you can do most basic tasks in both places,
> but mutt's presentation makes for quick work.
>

> Why so much apt and dpkg and so little dselect?

I use and actually kinda like dselect in a sick kind of a way.  But it
took me a while to get there.

Con:

  - Presenting a noncollapsible list of 4k packages is Just Plain
    Wrong[tm].  Incidentally, capt repeats this mistake, though it's
    possible to filter packages.

  - dselect's update is (or wasn't) quite synched with apt, which
    means/meant that a seperate [U]pdate step is/was required.  This can
    be time-consuming on a <= 56K line.

  - Key bindings and dependency resolution can be confusing.

Pro:

  - dselect (as Joey Hess pointed out to me recently) is about the only
    convenient way to find out about recently added packages.

  - dselect's dependency resolution deals with 'recommends' as well as
    'requires'

  - ordering of packages in dselect, while somewhat byzantine, also does
    fulfill a useful rôle.

These days, I tend to use apt-get, dpkg, apt-cache, and capt, but I'll
still roll through dselect on the odd instance.