How do I Remove the Sl0 Port?

Every time I restart my Debian Linux Server, ifconfig reports an "Sl0"
(es, el, zero) port that is conflicting with "eth0".  The port "eth0
will not communicate with our Internet connection until I run "ifconfig
Sl0 down" which temporarily removes "Sl0" from the ifconfig listing.

Where, or how, do I tell my Debian Linux server not to bring up the
"Sl0" port every time I reboot the system?

Thank you in advance for any advise you can send my way.

                              Dave G. Bacon
                        Computer Network Manager
                    Outagamie Waupaca Library System
                 225 N. Oneida St., Appleton, WI  54911